Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Earth Hour

The environment has always been a concern of mine. I have recycled in every place I've lived (in college I used to take long walks and collect all the cans I found and bring them to the recycling center). When I visit the shore in NJ, or the beaches in DE, I get really sad because the water isn't quite the blue it should be. And one of my first decisions as I opened Smile Creations Crafts was that I would re-use packaging and boxes when shipping purchases to my customers. Recently, thanks to a program called Just Faith, I have renewed my commitment to preserving the earth and leaving as small a carbon footprint as possible. And that renewed commitment brings me to Earth Hour.

March 29th (next Saturday) from 8-9pm is Earth Hour .....

What is "Earth Hour?"
(taken from the event page) "Earth Hour, run by WWF, the conservation organisation, is a global climate change initiative which calls on individuals and businesses around the world, to turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday March 29 2008 between 8 pm and 9pm.
The aim of the campaign is to express that individual action on a mass scale can help change our planet for the better.
The event itself will clearly demonstrate in participating cities, the connection between energy usage and climate change, showing that we as broader community can address the biggest threat our planet has ever faced."

Earth Hour began in Australia last year; this year it is a truly global event with over 9,000 businesses and 130,000 individuals worldwide signed up to participate. I signed up, and I hope you'll consider doing the same. Turning off our lights for an hour is a small price to pay to try to preserve our world for our childrens' children.....

Please use this link (my personal Earth Hour page) to learn more and sign up. When you sign up, you'll get a page, too, to forward to your friends and colleagues and track the impact that you, as an individual, can have.

No comments: