Tuesday, June 12, 2007

USS Nimitz

A few days ago, my husband and I received a one-page flyer in the mail from friends of his. Their son is serving in the Navy and is currently stationed on a carrier, the USS Nimitz. Those who serve on the seas (carriers, submaries, destroyers) are usually on board for 6 months at a time. That's 6 months with no land, and no family or friends.

The goal of the flyer is to gather as many "care packages" for these men and women on the USS Nimitz as possible. Hopefully our messages will bring smiles and a little piece of home to those who serve.

Ordinarily, I'm not one for writing to people I don't know, or getting involved in causes, or things like that. But for some reason, I think because my dad served in the Navy on submarines, this request has really stuck with me. After all, I grew up hearing stories about my parents writing letters to each other before my dad would even leave for his 6 months (submarines can't even receive mail!) so they'd have something tangible to open and make them smile while they were apart.

I am planning to knit something small and write a letter to be given to one of those on the USS Nimitz. Just something to show that I am glad to be an American, and glad that he or she is working to help preserve our freedoms. I am asking everyone I know to do the same. Send along a favorite book, a mini jig-saw puzzle, a handcrafted something, a puzzle book, a note, a photo.... anything that can cheer our men and women up and remind them of the home that's so far away (just don't send money; it's against Navy regulations).

All items should be mailed to one of the three addresses listed on the flyer before July 4th.

Thank you for joining me in thanking the men and women of the Navy!

No comments: