Thursday, March 1, 2007

Newsboy hat coming along

The newsboy hat is coming along nicely. Many, many thanks to Mrs. reMANGO, one of my Newark knitting buddies who showed me a way to make the cables go easier and faster! Also thanks to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, whose wisdom I only recently discovered in her book, Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks.

As I no longer work with the hat recipient, it is sometimes difficult to find time in our schedules to meet. And I want to ensure that the hat I am knitting will fit properly, no? How to do that without a long drive into Philadelphia? Easy, according to the Yarn Harlot. Simply measure the recipient's hand, from palm base to tip of the middle finger. That measurement should equal the hat, from the brim/edge to the first row of decreases (this assumes, obviously, that you're knitting bottom up, as thankfully I am).

The good news is: the hat fits! Onward, to the brim!

1 comment:

reluctantMANGO said...

Yay! I'm so glad it's going well for you. Cables are one of my favorite things, and once you start, it's hard to stop :)